Welcome to WITF’s Local Events Calendar!
- This event has passed.
Air Pollution in Pennsylvania: Community Panel
February 16 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pmFree
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency reports air pollution levels in some parts of Pennsylvania are among the nation’s highest, with the United Health Association ranking the Commonwealth’s air quality as 48th in the nation. According to new research, these elevated levels of air pollution are linked to higher COVID-19 death rates. This panel will reflect on localized air pollution considerations and potential opportunities for engagement.
• Thomas Y. Au, president of the Clean Air Board of Central Pennsylvania and former assistant chief counsel at the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP)
• Naida Elena Montes, a Ph.D. student in Temple University’s Geography & Urban Studies program. She previously worked for the Asociación de Puertorriqueños en Marcha in community economic development in Philadelphia.
• Germaine Gooden-Patterson, a community health worker for Women for a Healthy Environment.
• Krishnan Ramamurthy, deputy secretary for the Office of Waste Air, Radiation and Remediation at Pennsylvania DEP.
• Heather Bedi, assistant professor of environmental studies at Dickinson College, is moderating the panel. Bedi’s research examines how civil society and socio-environmental movements experience and adapt to natural resource and landscape modifications related to energy processes, climate change, industrialization and agricultural transitions. Bedi also examines energy injustice through the lens of shale gas extraction (fracking) in the United States. She serves on the DEP’s Environmental Justice Advisory Board and the Cumberland County Food System Alliance leadership team.